pangolin.png

TigerLilyTidbits is where art and conservation meet.

Hinterland Dress by Sew Liberated review

Hinterland Dress by Sew Liberated review

After coming across the #hinterlandsewoff hashtag on Instagram, I knew I wanted to make my own version. The dress, by Sew Liberated, is a high-waisted boxy shirtdress. When I first started sewing in 2017, I tried self-drafting my own shirtdress. I’m very happy with the results (considering how little I knew about self-drafting), but I thought it would be interesting to compare a professional pattern with my own attempt, and see if I’d missed out on any techniques that could improve the finish. The result is an amalgamation of the 2 patterns.

A shirtdress I self-drafted when I first started sewing.

A shirtdress I self-drafted when I first started sewing.

Sew Liberated’s Hinterland dress

Sew Liberated’s Hinterland dress

Fabric:

My main fabric is a a lightweight cotton with a hummingbird print. My nana had given me 3m of it as a birthday present a few months ago. I’m trying very hard not to buy more fabric, and shop from my stash instead.

The contrast grey is from the gorgeous Moda Grunge Basics collection. I love the subtle texture they have. This piece was a scrap leftover from my Mexican grey wolf.

Changes I made to the Hinterland Pattern:

  1. Added a contrast band at the bottom of the skirt, and a contrast fabric for the bodice placket. (I think this often helps outfits look more “put together”. Plus I was short on the hummingbird fabric.)

  2. Used snaps instead of buttons. I happened to have some grey snaps that blended really nicely with the grey of the bodice placket, and I didn’t want to buy anything new.

  3. Got rid of all the facings. I’ve never seen facings in a sleeve before, am unsure what the point is. I preferred to just do a narrow hem. I find neckline facings annoying, so decided to use a purple binding I also had in my stash for an extra pop of colour. (I cut 1/2” off the neckline first).

  4. Added 3” to the sleeves so they’re 3/4 length rather than elbow length.

  5. Took 1.5” darts out of the shoulder seam.

My version of the Hinterland dress

My version of the Hinterland dress

Overall thoughts:

I really liked the placket construction, it’s a lot sleeker than the method I came up with for my first shirtdress. The fit is great with the optional waist ties, though quite shapeless with out them. (“Table-like”, as my husband so charmingly put it). It’s a great pattern, and I’m looking forward to making a sleeveless maxi version for next summer!

Child's quilt made from old knit baby clothes

Child's quilt made from old knit baby clothes